Saturday, September 3, 2011

Books to Devour

During this summer's vacation, I noticed I had selected a number of food-centric books, which I promptly (and appropriately) devoured.  More, by the way, on the vacation food in a forthcoming post.  Anyway, being an avid reader, it also occurred to me that some of my favorite books are rather food focused.  It seemed appropriate to begin (for others to finish) a foodie book list.  That, of course, got me thinking about foodie films, so that will be forthcoming as well.  

As an aside, check out the Top Northwest Food Blogs You Should Be Reading over at my friend Lyndi's NWA Foodie blog.  I'm honored that The Food Adventuress is included on her list, and would contend this novice blog aside, these are some of the best blogs you'll read just about anywhere.  Plus, it's a great time to visit NWAFoodie since she is doing some amazing giveaways to celebrate her blog's second anniversary!


Without further ado, a few of my favorite foodie books, with fingers crossed you'll add your own at the end:


1.  Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel: Obviously.
2.  Julie & Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell: The story of a New Yorker's challenge to cook every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking not only is this a great food read, it's also a great read for bloggers.

3.  My Life in France by Julia Child and Alex Prud'Homme: It's a treat to read both this and Julie & Julia in any order.

4.  The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand Normally not the kind of book I pick up if judging its cover, which features an exuberant couple and therefore makes me want to skip it and other romance-esque tomes, but a quick review of the premise had me hooked, and the first few pages are a summer restaurant menu in Nantucket - sold!

5.  Anything by Peter Mayle: From A Year in Provence to A Good Year, Mayle is the epitome of the food, wine and travel author.  While the books don't always go deep on the recipes and specifics, each conveys a confound sense of place that makes you want to hop a jet - stat.

6.  Boulangerie Now obviously, this is not a cookbook list (although we'll do that soon!), but I would argue that this one teeters beautifully on the edge.  It's really a treat to read (and obviously, I lean toward the francophile picks) and the photography is stunning, in addition to the great recipes toward the end.  I've tried my hand at a pretty passable baguette more than once based on this book.

7.  A Cultivated Life by Joy Sterling: A firsthand account of life at Sterling Vineyards in Sonoma and a light, fun peek at the wine industry.

8.  French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure




9.  Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert: As if the world is not already familiar with this tome.








What are your favorite food-centric reads?  Which of your bookshelf selections evoke a sense of good food and good company?  I'm looking forward to your additions.

I've ranted about my love of Goodreads in a tirade called In Praise of Reader's Digest Condensed Books and Toast on my other blog, The Little Magpie - you should definitely check it out if you're not already a member.  It seems overwhelming to take on another website or social media app and to add your books at first, but it's worth it - and seeing what your nearest and dearest are reading means you'll never be at a loss on what to pick up next time you're at the book seller or library.  You can also access my list of these "Books to Devour" via Goodreads if you like.


I'll be sharing the foodie books on my "to read" list soon as well.  Looking forward to your food-fantastic selections!

1 comment:

  1. I have read several of these and enjoyed them. Right now I am reading Growing a Farmer: How I Learned to Live Off the Land by Kurt Timmermeister. It is SO good!

    ReplyDelete